Friday, April 17, 2009

Soap...

Hello, dear reader. I’ve been making these little soap holders for someone who likes them...


I used Melissa’s Soap Bag pattern from the Dishcloth Boutique. I added another stitch to the count (21) so I could make a row of lacy openings to thread the cord through. Of course once I did that, I couldn’t figure out how to work the chevron pattern with that extra stitch in there, so I gave up and went with garter stitch…


Here’s what I did:
Knit 4 rows then make the lace row:
K2, *yo, k2tog, k1*, repeat between **s until one stitch left, K1.

Continue following Melissa’s pattern until you almost reach the desired length, then repeat the lace row and a few rows of garter stitch and bind off. This one took a bit more cotton than the original because I added an extra loopy thing and garter stitch seems to eat up more yarn – approx. 41m (44 yd) …


Here’s one in the original chevron design without the lace row or the extra tie. Either way works, it’s just easier for me to thread the cord through lace holes than through the stitches. This one used just under 37 m (40 yd)….



Remember when I was so impressed with my ability to use my knitting bee? Well, it turns out – I was doing it ALL WRONG. It would take too long to explain what I was doing but trust me, it was wrong. My next attempt didn’t go well either. I kept flipping all the stitches off the pegs and had to pry them back on, one at a time, so I ended up with lumps and bumps in my cord…


Then the reality of spool knitting a hot pad hit me…the next step would involve sewing this long cord together…in a circle. I quickly discovered a new use for my cord and my knitting bee…


(*Note: no knitting bee was injured in the making of this photo).

I haven’t given up on my spool knitting; I’m just waiting until I have more patience.

The squirrels are frisky and bouncing all over our yard…



Thanks for dropping by, dear reader; I’ll wish you a peaceful week and hope to see you next Friday.



“Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough.”
~Emily Dickinson